Saturday, May 27, 2006

to Wawa we go

After recovering a bit at Ka Tobias', it was time to hit the trails. We're going to Wawa Dam in Montalban, Rizal. I know it's a long ride ahead, and I'm glad I didn't go all out up the wall.

There was more climbing to be done, albeit on dirt roads, and after another short break we head down into some steep and technical single track. Dips, ruts and off-camber turns...a few stream crossings and some mud. The trail has everything. Lots of fun and the Monkey shined. I rode a bit tentatively because I wasn't familiar with the area...

We pause for a "lunchbreak", and DanDan and King say the next bit is a long hike-a-bike. They weren't kidding. I figure around 800m of climbing, with Spanky on my back. We could see one of the numerous sheer rock faces that made this area famous for rock climbing. We even ran into some intrepid MTBers riding down the same trail we were huffing and puffing up. No helmets too, all four of them. Ride safe guys.

Finally we are spat on on a hilltop clearing, where we snack on some duhat, aka black plum, which was offered to us by some locals. I rehydrate and much on some M&Ms. Edmund said that after this part is a long downhill that leads towards Wawa. We hopped on our bikes and after a short singletrack ride, he wasn't kidding.

Before us is a long winding dirt road that stretches down towards the valley. Sweet. Some corners look a bit tricky. But we go for it. King gets away first, and I find myself following him down. The corners are nice and sweeping, but the loose rocks, ruts and gravel make things a bit sketchy. I think I've gotten the hang of piloting Spanky, by steering not just with my arms but by using my hips and body weight. Niiiice. Carved that corner. Oh no...two mounds of dirt have conspired to become humps. No choice but to air it out. Smooth. Spanky handles like a dream. I don't even have to pedal - that's how fast I was going. Not fast enough, I guess, as DanDan sneaks up on me. He has gears! And full-suspension! The cheat! hehe

The downhill run was a blast, and we recover from our adrenaline rush at Aling Norma's carinderia. Once a hangout for climbers in the area, business has been a bit slow for her thanks to some municipal regulation of charging a P500 for access - whether you are an individual or a group. Hence, climbers have decided to make a stand and boycott the area. I guess some dialogue is needed. Hope it gets sorted out, I think to myself, as I help myself to some sinigang, a soup made from tamarind, with some chilis, pork bits and vegetables.

After settling our tab we're off to the Wawa Dam. It used to be a rock and limestone quarry, but has now become a protected area, and it's quite scenic. I'll let the photos do the talking.





After Wawa, its a road ride back to the town proper. Vic and I manage to get left behind, and somehow overshoot Chow King. Luckily we had our wits about, and doubled back to find the boys digging into their bowls of halo-halo - a local refreshment made of crushed ice, fresh and glazed fruits, topped with ice cream. Yummy. A perfect end to the ride.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home