Monday, April 18, 2005

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.


More so when you are on a single speed. I found that out much to my chagrin last Saturday, when on a steep climb, torquing t for all I was worth, I heard a crunching sound just as I applied my full weight on my right downstroke. SNAP! There went one of the links of my chain. POW! Was the sound of my thigh hitting my bike's stem. OUCH! (more like SHIT!) is what I exclaimed as I managed to unclip from the Tingle. After assessing the damage to myself and the bike (not in that order), immediate repairs were needed. Luckily I packed a chain tool and a dozen or so extra links of chain. Removing chain was the easy part, and I had some problems setting the replacement pins and links in. Luckily Job had a Shimano chain tool, which made the job much easier.

Pop quiz: how many mountainbikers does it take to replace a link on a broken chain?
Answer: I think more than one, perhaps even four, as that was our riding group that day.

What made things a bit worse was that this happened near the halfway point of our 45km ride. At least the big hills were out of the way. As we were pressed for time we decided to head back the way we came in, instead of completing the loop.

This meant bombing down the four climbs I painfully ascended. No problem if you are on a full-suspension bike (like my 3 amigos that day). But on a rigid single speed? It was my first time down that way.

My thigh was already a bit sore but I just said "what the heck" and decided to lead the group down. It was pretty hairy and pretty fun, surrendering yourself to gravity. When we hit the pavement ont he way back to the parking lot Polly told me we were going 53km/h. Not bad, not bad at all...hehe

After fashioning an ice pack from few plastic bags and a towel, I knew that was my last ride for the weekend.

Darn, that means I'd miss the Tour Of The Fireflies the next day.

It's Tuesday now, and the thigh is much better, thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home