Sunday, June 18, 2006

The Men's Health All Terrain Race

Today was the day. The first-ever Men's Health All Terrain Race was held in Timberland, Maarat, Rizal. A month of intense preparation by Men's Health and Team All Terra has paid off. More than 300 trail runners and close to 100 mountain bikers converged at the venue...

I arrived at 6:30am, and almost immediately I was interviewed about the race! Overall the place had a good, positive vibe - everyone was having fun, no doubt spurred on by the giveaways and the host Paolo Abrera. I had to face the crowd as well, making an intro speech - but I kept it short knowing that these guys were chomping at the bit to tackle the 8km trail run. Next thing I know, off they went! After half an hour - the first finishers came trickling in - these guys are fit!

The start of the bike race was slightly delayed due to a shortage of registration forms - which is always a good thing! Polly, Vic, Jay and Goyo joined me for the ride - but we weren't racing (though they all registered!). We were in it for fun, and I was also doing double duty as an on-course marshal - making sure people are alright, etc. Had to assist a racer who had suffered leg cramps (he did the trail run too!). We did one lap of the course (racers did 2), and it was a good thing because as I rolled into the venue, the awarding ceremonies were in full swing! So sweaty me went up on stage to offer congratulations, shake hands and award medals. And yes, another speech haha!

Edmund did a wonderful job as race organizer, and more importantly, kept his grace under pressure. Lots of prizes were given away, and I think all the participants had fun, and identified themselves with the magazine.

Gotta go - have a radio guesting on DZMM at 6pm!

P.S. pics of the race to follow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home