Tuesday, September 19, 2006

spanky got a date

After two months of planning, anticipation, and rainchecks (literally), my Monkey finally gets set-up with JM's GF. By GF we mean his ca. 1994 Gary Fisher Advance, which was immaculately restored to it's original color. Hmm, if I ever need Spanky repainted, I know who to go to for sure!

JM resurrected his old ride by converting it to a singlespeed. He runs a 38x18 gear combo - which a higher ratio than my standard 32x18. Suffice to say JM is a strong rider to push that gear, and he left me behind in the climbs! Spanky couldn't keep up with his GF. However, in tight singletrack and fire road downhills, the Monkey led the way.

Quick report onthe Kenda Klaw XT's - I LIKE EM! Seems to have a bit more sidewall bite - especially on off-camber trail sections and ruts. I think I'll keep em on for a bit. Slightly more rolling resistance than the Ignitors, but I appreciate the added traction in sketchy conditions, even though the Kenda's seem be a bit narrower.

Another thing - the blasted creaking is still there, despite the new Titanium bottom bracket. Seems like the crank arms are a bit worn down where they connect to the bottom bracket spindle. Looks like I'm going shopping for a brand-new, old-stock, square-taper, 4-arm crank. Preferably powdercoated red!


Spanky and I.


JM and GF. Ganda ng GF niya, no?


Spanky and GF getting to know each other and admiring the view.

Next project: a threesome with Jay's 1x1. Hehehe

P.S. I reverted to my tried, tested and tattered WTB SST-XR saddle (which was the saddle on Schwinndy), for the following reasons:

1. Leather saddles are more comfy than synthetic types.
2. Titanium rails soak some of the vibrations from the trail
3. It's lighter!

:-P

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Twas a nice day, in fact! My GF wishes she was from 1994. She was actually born in 1989. Yup she's old but she can still hold her own with the young ones out there.... 'Til the next time oh sweet Monkey. So very nice to meet your acquaintance....finally.

19:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home