Wednesday, March 15, 2006

shit happens

Went for my usual ride last Saturday, hitting the trails in Sta Rosa with Polly. As I did my morning ritual I noticed things were, ummm, runnier than normal. I thought it was a one-off thing, and drove south to meet the rest of the guys.

As I tried to put air in the Tingle's front tire, it deflated completely! Seems like something was wrong with the valve and it needed much higher pressure than what a hand pump could provide to stay closed. Luckily the nearby shop had a floor pump and that remedied the situation. Got myself a spare tube just in case...though I normally ride with two spares...I remember giving one to Ramon for the race...hmmmm...

The ride started out pretty normally - in fact, I felt good despite the heat. After the first set of dirt climbs, I waited for the rest of the pack and noticed my stomach was feeling a bit queasy. And I felt dehydrated, despite me downing a sports drink and sipping religiously from my hydration pack...

As the guys caught up I decided to dismount and rest for a while. They asked if I was OK and I recounted my early morning "experience"...we agreed that I would turn back and head for home, while they complete the ride.

Heading back I felt real bummed, but I was worried about my stomach. When I got home, my health quickly deteriorated - with feverish chills, lack of appetite and non-stop visits to the bathroom.

I slept for most of the day and night. Only getting up to go to the toilet and to replenish my lost fluid. A classic case of food poisoning.

Sunday morning had me throwing up. Funny thing is, I felt a lot better after puking my guts out. Tried to have a banana and some super-diluted Gatorade after that, and it kinda helped. Dinner was my first bowl of real food - consisting of chicken arroz caldo.

Monday night was my first go at "solid" food. And the fever has also left me. Tuesday was a lot better. And I even dared go to work earlier today. So, well on the way to recovery...BUT

...there goes my preparatin for the TLBF Singlespeed Race. There also goes my timetable for picking up the Monkey!

Oh well, some things aren't meant to be I guess. At any rate, I do get some time off work AND the bike, which may prove to be a good thing. Can't wait to start riding again!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it was just dirt on your chain... :D

03:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home