Saturday, April 08, 2006

skewered (aka strike 2)

This morning started like any other riding day. Met up with Polly, Vic, Jay and Manitoo. Introduced the Monkey to the boys (and other riders who happen to notice the big-ass wheels), invited them to take it for a spin while I put my gear on. It’s interesting to see their faces as they tool around with the Monkey – feedback was positive, mostly. Note that some of these guys ride high-zoot bikes…well, Vic was riding a vintage Trek 8500 hardtail – since his Jamis had a cracked pivot! Manitoo was on board his equally classic but trusty Cannondale SE1000, Jay took his rigid singlespeed Specialized Hard Rock, and Polly had the Turner 5 spot.



After adjusting my chain tension, I proceeded to torque down on my bolt-on skewer, then – SNAP! The axle sheared, scattering skewered skewer bits and the Durly TuggNut everywhere... and there I was with an unrideable Monkey! Talk about starting off a relationship on the wrong foot. Luckily there were several options: purchase A DT Swiss skewer (pricey), an XTR skewer (pricier), or borrow a rear quick release from the bike shop’s rental bike (free!)…guess which option I took? I thanked the folks at Sabak profusely, and we set out on our merry way...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home